I was born and raised in the Fargo-Moorhead area and have lived here all of my life. I am married and have two children. My son is a chiropractor, practicing in Fargo and my daughter is a school teacher in Moorhead, Minnesota. We are blessed with four grandchildren.
I attended the University of North Dakota at Grand Forks. I received my Juris Doctor Degree from the University of North Dakota School of Law in 1965. I was a member of the Board of Editors of the North Dakota Law Review.
Admissions to Practice
I have been admitted to practice in the State of North Dakota since 1965. I am admitted to practice in the United States District Courts of North Dakota, the United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. I have been admitted to practice for specific cases in Minnesota, South Dakota, California and Florida.
Areas of Practice
The primary focus of my practice over the last 43 years has been plaintiffs' serious personal injury and wrongful death cases. I have handled a large number of brain injury cases. The majority of my cases are the result of automobile and truck accidents. I also work in the area of medical malpractice, and with people who are injured as a result of defective products. Most of my cases involve very serious injuries. I also focus on wrongful death cases, one in particular, wrongful deaths of children.
I have been fortunate in being recognized and honored for my work representing injured consumers. As a result, I have been qualified to be part of the following trial lawyer groups and received the following honors:
International Academy of Trial Lawyers, which is limited to the top 500 trial lawyers in the country;
American College of Trial Lawyers, which is limited to the top 1% of trial lawyers in the United States;
Recognized in the book, "The Best Lawyers in America" representing the injured party;
Recipient of the American Association for Justice's highest educational award, "Diplomate of Trial Advocacy;"
Recipient of the Wysocki Citation of Excellence Award given by the American Association for Justice for 9 years;
American Association for Justice Workhorse Award (1989);
I am also affiliated with the following trial lawyer organizations, locally and nationally:
North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, 1975 - Present
Member (Founding and Charter Member)
- North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, 1986-1987
- North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, 1980 - Present
Member, Board of Directors
- American Association for Justice , 1989 - Present
Member, Board of Governors
- American Association for Justice , 1974 - Present
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Member, NCA Board of Trustees (1997 - 1999)
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1988 - 1996
Member, Board of Directors
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1985 - Present
Member, (Sustaining Founder)
- American Bar Association, 1967 - Present
- Cass County Bar Association, 1967 - Present
- Member of Minnesota, California, Arizona, and Texas Trial Lawyer Associations
Teaching and Legal Education
I have had the privilege of being a frequent lecturer at the University of North Dakota School of Law. I have lectured at numerous trial advocacy seminars around the country on all aspects of trial advocacy. As a faculty member for the National College of Advocacy, the teaching arm of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, I have participated as a lecturer of trial advocacy at various law schools which have been held for trial lawyers throughout the Country. These include Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, University of California at Berkeley, Alabama, New Mexico and Hastings College of Law in San Francisco.
I have been asked to speak on a variety of legal issues to attorneys, other legal professionals and the public on how to try personal injury and wrongful death cases. I have lectured in over 30 states, Canada and Mexico on all aspects of how to represent personal injury clients, prepare their cases for settlement and how to try their cases to a judge or jury.
Areas Of Practice
- Plaintiffs' Serious Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death - Plaintiff
- Medical Malpractice
- Injuries as a Result of Defective Products
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Guzman v. Western State Bank of Devils Lake, North Dakota, 516 F.2d 125, 1975, C.A.8 (N.D.), 1975110893
- First Trust Co. of North Dakota v. Scheels Hardware & Sports Shop, Inc., 429 N.W.2d 5, 1988, N.D., 1988085721